Days Go By...

...taking life one day at a time...

Friday, June 10, 2005

Talked to the Anesthesiologist today

... I heart him. he told me all about malignant hyperthermia... the first doctor-person to do so since I had my MH crisis (as he called it) 2 years ago. I'm shocked at what i didnt know... even after doing my own research online!Basically, there are little receptors in my bone muscle tissue that react differently than MOST of the population (it only happens to one in 250,000 people). They dont metabolize calcium properly, so i go into crisis and wind up with kidney, heart and lung failure (i had major problems with this 2 years ago), extremely high temp (i had 104.5 for about 4 days straight), and it can ultimately cause death. Because its fatal, its VITAL that i am aware of everything, and take uber-precautions.He says I *need* to have a med-alert bracelet (i didn't even know you could get them for that), and to get that asap.He says that pigs (lol) get MH from just running around, and that theoretically I could have a MH crisis just from getting overheated. He said to make sure we always have AC, and to always keep hydrated.Because of that, he wants me to have an epidural very early on in my labor (did i mention i *heart* him ), and to keep me very cool during the whole birthing process.Now, I told him that I will be moving out of state to alaska before I have the baby, but we had to make preparations anyway because i've also had a history of preterm labor... He also knows the anesthesiologist who works at the hospital in Anchorage (went to school with him) so he said all he has to do is send over an email with all the stuff we go over.He said just to make sure everyone in my family knows i have it, and for them to tell THEIR doctors, because its genetic, and doesn't usually show up the first time or two that a patient is under General anesthetic... so they could have a reaction and not have a clue they had it... He said that I could go down to San Antonio and get a bone muscle biopsy to officially diagnose me, but that if i did so, i could never get insurance after we leave the army, because it can be fatal. He said I will get the same good treatment if I am considered "MS succeptible" as i would officially diagnosed. So... no biopsy for me.that's about it I think... WHEW... what a day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home