I'm an Orchid! I'm an Orchid!
Or so I'm telling myself. I've been reading my Body + Soul magazine today that came in the mail and there's an article on treating yourself better, espeically during hot summer months. One comment in the article that caught my eye was, "After a busy week, why not treat yourself like a flower in need of some care and pampering? Think of yourself as an Orchid. Others will." Strange as it sounds, I'm going to take that advice.
(Ok so I'm not seriously thinking I'm an orchid, but go with the metaphor people)
This article gives suggestions on ways to help do this throughout the day, every day.
First, I want to start doing a little yoga. I am fortunately naturally flexible, though with this growing belly its becoming less and less so (i'm feeling more like an elephant than an orchid about now). Not all yoga moves are good for pregnant women to do, but I plan to do a little research to see which ones are actually beneficial. They increase circulation, relax the muscles, and the mind, and are supposed to help you feel refreshed. I would like to start doing this as a routine when I wake up and when I go to bed. If I can get Abbi to work with me a little, we can do it together, and make it a routine part of the day. It could be really good for both of us.
Next, I want to re-vamp my eating again. I was doing great for a long time, and have recessed back to baked fries and burgers on the grill instead of healthier choices (though those are nice every once in a while *wink* ). I want to start having fruit for breakfast - at least one piece of fruit and a glass of juice. That's supposed to help get rid of any toxins left in your body and help you start feeling refreshed.
Truth be told, I need to start setting a daily schedule for myself so I can get things done without feeling overwhelmed. If I know I am only going to clean from 10-11 I can handle that, and set that time aside for just that, and get a lot done. You'd be amazed what can happen in an hours time if you devote yourself to it.
After that, the article says to schedule down time. You know us orchids... must have our "shade" and rest time ;) I will probably spend that time on here... my favorite relaxing place. Either that, or scrapbooking, once I get my room totally cleaned (its *almost* there! yay).
Lunch needs to encompass more veggies too... its typically PB&J or salami LOL. Salad on the side at least is a positive change I can make.
After that, the article calls for more rest time *darn* (I think I'm liking this schedule LOL). This would be a good time of the day for Abbi and I to lay down together, and read a book, watch a movie, or practice some word games for homeschooling. Just so long as we are relaxing.
The rest of the day I am going to leave open with the exception of going on a family walk about an hour after dinner, just before sunset when it starts to cool off a bit. It will be good for all of us to get out of the house and spend some time together, while getting some fresh air and exercise. We can start small, going up the block, and expand as we feel comfy.
The last suggestion for the day is to take a warm bubble bath after the evening yoga session... I can't complain with that!!
All in all, I know that changes take time, but adopting one or two of these changes as I can will help this little orchid to bloom a little brighter and maybe not feel guilty for "resting", knowing I was doing something good for myself. With the "schedule" I suggested, I can get some things done during the day too, and feel like even if I didnt' conquer the world, I've done enough, and had a successful day without overdoing it. Of course this is nothing rigid, and if i sleep till noon one day and miss breakfast, oh well! Its just an idea to guide me into a healthier and happier state of being so i'm not so grumpy and overhwelmed anymore...
I'm looking forward to the changes ahead :)

1 Comments:
I think I'm a weed. I grow no matter what you do to me hehe.
Odd
Post a Comment
<< Home