My Still Point...
So much changes... so much. My health, finances, emotions, struggles, successes, joys, sadnesses... and even as we've seen most notably recently...the weather. We live in a moving world, turning round and round, ever changing, never the same. Its often disorienting, wondering what to hold on to for stability... something tangible, something solid.
The only things I've found that can sustain me, are my family and my faith. I've been blessed. i've been blessed with several people in my family that are really there for me, and who I can be there for. If one is unable or unwilling to be the stable one, the one who will listen, care, be there... there is another. I find balance in the people I have in my life, and I'm blessed for it. I hope to be nothing but a contribution to that stability in my family, and offer my kiddos and my hubby a safe place to come where they know they will always find love, and comfort.
My faith is always a strongpoint. When I feel most shaken i'm reminded of my foundation, and that it is never changing.
I remember as a kid, going to stay with my grandparents, who lived on the banks of the guadalupe river. One summer, the dam broke. Water rushed in and took out house after house after house. the water came up to the edge of their yard, taunting, threatening. I remember being so so frightened... so scared. My grandparents, with calm like I could never understand, packed up their pictures and went off to a friends house a few miles away. When we came back, and the waters had receeded, all that was left of their neighbors house was a concrete foundation. There was no trace whatsoever of the house that once was, or the memories that filled it. There was nothing, at least to those of us who saw only the devastation.
The owner came back, and mourned over the loss of his home. He arranged for housing for himself now that his home was gone. Then he smiled. I'll never forget that, and it still catches me off guard in my memories just thinking about it. He smiled and told my grandpa that he was going to rebuild. That his foundation was still there, still strong. He would rebuild better, and be more prepared for the next wave to come.
His faith amazed me... and it really did bring home to me what having a foundation in faith means. In the light of everything going on in the world, this is really an eye opening thought for me, and its appropriate I think that my devotion today led me to this verse, and subsequent commentary about God being the still point in this turning world...
"From everlasting to everlasting, you are God." ~Ps. 90:2

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home