Becoming...
What is it that makes a person become themselves?? What made Columbus such an explorer? Was it inherent ambition? Was his father or mother encouraging him to see the world with the eyes of possibility and hope? Or was it simply the path his life took him on, despite his own hopes and dreams? What made Whitman a shut in? Was it his fear, or his distaste for change? Was his father or mother a shut-in too? Or was it simply that in order to pursue his passion for writing, he had no time for anything or anyone else.
These thoughts crossed my mind today as I sat, dreading the possibility of having to go outside to get the mail. What is it that makes me want to just stay inside, and be close to home? Is it something I can change, or should I simply accept it as a part of my personality?
There is so much to life that I want to experience. I envy those who explore and make memories away from the confines and comforts of home. I watch in awe as I see individuals on television climbing mount everest, traveling the country, and meeting new people. I envy those who camp, and hike, and climb. I find hope in the people who devote their lives to completing their goals and ambitions such as olympians, artists, and yes, even politicians.
Its true that there are many goals and dreams I can achieve right here from my home. But why miss out on the world that so many others are experiencing and enjoying. Perhaps it is an all or nothing approach to this dillemma that has me so perplexed... one can be a bit of a homebody but still get out and experience wonderful things.
Some of the things I would love to do, maybe once a week or so:
~Go pick fresh fruits and veggies at a pick-your-own farm here locally.
~Grow wildflowers in my garden.
~Go for a day visit & barbecue out at Lake Lawtonka.
~Go to the park more.
~Take part in community events.
Perhaps if i designate one day a week as my "get out and do something" day, it will be a good start to delve into experiencing what lies ahead for me, outside of these walls, without having to give up the comfort and enjoyment of being a bit of a homebody. I want Abbi to experience the world, and also the comfort of home, giving her the chance to choose her own path without overwhelming influence one way or the other.
Here's to future adventures :)

1 Comments:
Balance is everything! What makes a true adventure is contentment in ourselves and who we are- surroundings are just esthetic. Abbi knows adventure and intrigue- she also knows contentment and peace. Kudos to a great and balanced mommy! Love your guts!
Post a Comment
<< Home